Friday, August 3, 2012

Tigger's Adventure

 Another re-posting from my website of an incident which happened Christmas week of 2008


***********************************************************************







'Twas the night after Christmas, when all through the condo
Not a creature was stirring, not even Jay Leno;
My stockings were hung o’er the shower rod with care,
In hopes that the kitties could not reach them to snare;
Burrowed under my quilts, all snug in my bed,
While visions of Clearance Sales danced in my head;
With Naomi on one side, and Jericho on the other,
All warm and cozy for a long winter's slumber,


When from under the bed there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my covers to see what was the matter.
Looking about for the source of the crash,
Yanked on the side lamp and my big toe did smash.


Sounds behind the dust ruffle did fill me with dread,
But quickly I knelt to look under the bed
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But my darling boy Tigger who caused me to fear,
With electric cord in his mouth he did shiver and twitch
That for a brief moment I thought “This is it,
My darling sweet kitty is dying this night”,
But with panic and speed I grabbed hold to fight.


The light did unplug, into darkness descended,
With growls, claws and strength dear kitty was upended.
To the top of the stairs then down all he did tumble,
And noisily landing onto the carpet he rumbled.
We raced down the steps unsure of his status,
Only to stop short as he flailed and hissed at us.


Then down more stair steps like a crazed thing he flew,
Myself in pursuit with the other cats too.
And then, in the kitchen, all slid stop with a clatter
And I threw on the overhead to see just what was the matter.
As I drew near the kitty was still twitching around,
So round the midriff I held him to lift off the ground.


He growled and he wriggled, his jaw clamped hard shut
And then I did notice the thing from his mouth that did jut.
A skinny long thing with no fur, scales or tinsel,
For a moment I feared he had heaved out his tonsil.
Still almost asleep I blinked with pounding heart,
As my fingers and pressure forced kitty’s jaws apart.


His sharp little teeth clenched hard with all his might,
As I wondered just how badly he had injured himself tonight;
Then his jaws did spring open, he grumbled and groused,
While onto the floor dropped a limp and wet MOUSE!!!
I let out a shriek that rang loud in my head,
And stared at the limp thing that thank god was dead.


The other cats circled, quite intense to explore,
This new fangled play thing, laying slack on the floor.
I shooed them away as they grunted and yowled,
Then moved to the counter for a paper towel.
The clock read 3:30, the middle of the night,
As I bent to the body I yelled out in fright,
The mouse was NOT dead merely stunned or in shock,
And I quivered and flinched and looked round for a rock.


Then with several tissues, and not taking long,
I snagged it by the tail and flew into the john.
As it whirled down the toilet to the sewer to sink,
I shuddered and mumbled “By god, I need a drink!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment