Sunday, August 25, 2019

2020 SCA Birka Garb Challenge - Part 1

This year's Garb Challenge was announced ..


His Highness and I would like to invite you all to join us in this 
year's Garb Challenge for Birka. Put on your thinking and research hats, because we hope you will enjoy getting creative with this year's theme: MYTHOLOGY! Any Pantheon! Any culture! All styles! 



So after considering several cultures I settled on a Finnish Goddess with her outfit based in the Iron Age.


"Mielikki is the Finnish goddess of forests and the hunt. She is referred to in various tales as either the wife or the daughter-in-law of Tapio, and the mother of Nyyrikki and Tuulikki. She is said to have played a central role in the creation of the bear."

First image of Mielikki used for inspiration





Woven ribbon I chose for the triple wrap belt for the over apron






        The plan is to adorn the ends with Iron Age/Viking Age wire coils at each end. So I carefully unwove about a foot at each end in preparation to attach the coils once I made them



Traditional and Ancient ways of wearing adornments varied from region to region and differed from Norse Viking groups. The Finns had the two amulets that secured the overdress but there was a center medallion or brooch over the breastbone. Most of these stones came from my stash as did the center pin (Originally gifted to me by Amy Lindsay). I really like the bone center piece that I found in a jumble box.







No comments:

Post a Comment