Friday, July 6, 2012

Collecting Quilts

Sawtooth Star Quilt circa 1910
I subscribe to several electronic newsletters on various creative mediums: Beading, Fiber Arts, Mixed Media, Drawing and Quilting. Every so often one of the forums will post a general question or observation that really make me think about my own relationship with creativity and the creative arts.

Today a group on Facebook called Why Quilts Matter: History, Art & Politics posted the following question which brings me to my musing below.

The original question: For those who collect. How do you find great quilts? New technology or old school networking?



State Birds - quilt top only, 48 States
Found on-line


My response on their forum was:

New technology for the most part. I have one website in particular that has not yet caught on with a lot of collectors. In fact, I am looking at one find from the site which is hanging on my living room wall - hmmmm, time to rotate to another one for the summer I believe.

The old quilts I am attracted to are probably not going to ever be worth thousands as they are not pristine or made by a Master Quilter - but they speak to me. Some show signs of being very well loved, many are "quirky" with odd colors or design - but for me they all have one thing in common.

Someone loved them. Some woman spent a lot of time and effort making this item to keep her family warm while at the same time expressing herself creatively in perhaps the only way she had. And they were used and appreciated - at least until I find them and rescue them from the hands of people who are unable to appreciate their true value. Which has nothing to do with money.



Lady of the Lake, circa 1920s
Found on-line
A few of my teddy bears made from old quilts
All acquired on-line









































No comments:

Post a Comment