Saturday, August 7, 2021

August 07, 2021 - Stamps and Jewelry

 

So, during the last visit I made to Arkansas to help out my dad we had a discussion about the logistics and timing of potentially moving him up to New England where we would share living accommodations. That way I can keep an eye on him and be there when he has another health issue that requires medical intervention.

 

The biggest stumbling blocks at the moment though are my current condo and its multiple flights of stairs (which he really cannot navigate easily), and not working full time so I could rent an apartment as I would need someplace to live once my condo sold. And yes, selling the condo and moving into someplace with less stairs has been a plan for the next few years.

 

So, in preparation for that I decided to begin going through the house and taking a hard look at what I own, what I need and what I want to retain because of sentiment. The first place I started was my dressing table – specifically the jewelry box and drawers.

 

This was both easier and more difficult than I had thought. And I realized that for me I will hold on to things for several years out of sentiment before I feel ready to make a more rational decision about what I will keep and what I can pass on. So fortified with a large mug of coffee I emptied out two drawers onto my bed and went through everything. There were quite a few things I found easy to set aside – mostly because they were not in colors I ever wear and/or were not my style at all.

 

I re-found that a variety of wedding rings also – the new set my parents got for Mom for their Fiftieth Anniversary – those of course are going nowhere soon. I also realized I had my mother’s parents’ rings as well as a set from the Hesters – an elderly couple my mother took care of (including settling their estates). After checking that my brother was okay with my selling Mimi and Papa’s rings, I made an appointment at Longs Jewelers and let them, and a few other pieces, go.

 

Also, to be sold as part of this part of the downsizing were several stamp collections books – including the one from my Great-Grandfather Mattison that had stamps from Finland and surrounding areas dating back to the 1860s.

 So, the serious downsizing has begun. Though I am sure this will not be the final time I do this.




No comments:

Post a Comment